From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:33, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

South Hoffnungsfeld (or South Fairview) Mennonite Brethren Church, now extinct. When the Cherokee strip in Oklahoma was opened for homesteading on 16 September 1893, many members of MB church congregations in Kansas and in other states took up homesteads in the vicinity of what is now Fairview, Major County, Oklahoma. These settlers at first worshiped in houses and sometimes under trees. In the fall of 1895 a church was organized with William Hergert as leader, with a membership of 69. He served in this capacity until November 1900. In 1949 over 100 members of this congregation joined the Fairview City Mennonite Brethren Church, followed in 1951 by the remaining members.


Author(s) J. C Grunau
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Grunau, J. C. "South Hoffnungsfeld Mennonite Brethren Church (Fairview, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=South_Hoffnungsfeld_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Fairview,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=85124.

APA style

Grunau, J. C. (1959). South Hoffnungsfeld Mennonite Brethren Church (Fairview, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=South_Hoffnungsfeld_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Fairview,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=85124.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 587. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.