From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:33, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Souderton Mennonite Church, located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Franconia Conference, began in 1879 when families of the Franconia and the Rockhill Mennonite congregations living in Souderton built the first house of worship in Souderton. The congregation was organized in 1891. The first communion was held on 19 April 1891, when 68 members partook. Ministers from established Mennonite congregations accepted appointments to preach at Souderton until 1914, when the first minister there was ordained. Ministers who have served the congregation with the date of ordination were Jacob M. Moyer, minister 1914; bishop 1947; Elmer B. Moyer (d. 1957) minister 1919; Russell B. Musselman, minister 1948. The membership in 1958 was 470; Stanley Shenk was assisting in the ministry. A considerable number have left from here to build mission stations into congregations in the outlying areas.

Bibliography

Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937.

Additional Information

Address: 105 W. Chestnut Street, Souderton, PA  18964

Telephone: 215-723-3088

Web site: http://www.soudertonmennonite.org/


Author(s) Jacob M Moyer
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Moyer, Jacob M. "Souderton Mennonite Church (Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Souderton_Mennonite_Church_(Souderton,_Montgomery_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85113.

APA style

Moyer, Jacob M. (1959). Souderton Mennonite Church (Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Souderton_Mennonite_Church_(Souderton,_Montgomery_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85113.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 582. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.