Siegfried Mennonite Church, now extinct, called "Lehay" (Lehigh) in the letter written by the Franconia bishops to Holland in 1773, was located on what is now Twenty-first Street, Northampton, Pennsylvania. Common names in the congregation were Showalter, Basler, Funk, Ziegler, Hiestand, Landis, and Siegfried. The log meetinghouse was built about 1760. The land for the cemetery was conveyed to four trustees in 1770: Joseph Showalter, Henry Funk, Peter Fried, and Jacob Baer. In 1802 the congregation built the Settlement meetinghouse and the Siegfried church building and cemetery were abandoned. In 1829 Jacob Funk, a survivor of the Siegfried congregation, was legally empowered to sell the remaining unused portion of the cemetery lot. A stone wall was built around the cemetery, which contained almost one hundred graves. In 1885 Tilghman Seiple, a grandson of Henry Funk, raised money by popular subscription to put an iron fence around the cemetery. Later the cemetery was filled in and all but two headstones were covered. It is tradition that the services of the Siegfried congregation were sometimes disturbed by Indians.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 226-28.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
 Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Siegfried Mennonite Church (Northampton, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Siegfried_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=104585.
Wenger, John C. (1959). Siegfried Mennonite Church (Northampton, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Siegfried_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=104585.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.