Sichar Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church) now extinct, located at Cordell, Oklahoma, was organized on 14 April 1896, with the help of Elder Jacob Toews of Newton, Kansas, by a group of Mennonite settlers who withdrew from the Bergthal Mennonite Church. The first minister was Peter Pankratz. In 1896 Michael Klaassen was ordained minister. The first services were held in a schoolhouse. In 1897 a church located on the Jacob Janzen farm was dedicated. In 1899 the congregation divided, the part called the Herold Mennonite Church obtaining possession of the church building. The other group, under the name Sichar Mennonite Church, in 1900 erected a new church building 2 ½ miles south of the Herold church. Gradually members began to affiliate with the near-by Herold Mennonite Church. During November 1947 the church agreed to dissolve.
Krehbiel, H. P. Mennonite Churches of North America. Canton, 1911.
Kliewer, Menno H. "History of the Sichar Mennonite Church, Oklahoma." term paper, Bethel College, 1944.
Kroeker, Marvin "Mennonites in the Oklahoma 'Runs.'" Mennonite Life X (July 1955): 114.
Western District Conference Minutes, 1900-48.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Sichar Mennonite Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sichar_Mennonite_Church_(Cordell,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=84946.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Sichar Mennonite Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sichar_Mennonite_Church_(Cordell,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=84946.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.