From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Shelby Reformed Mennonite Church located 3 miles east of Shelby, Oceana County, Michigan, is the only congregation of this branch of Mennonites in Michigan. The congregation was organized in 1888 and the meetinghouse, a frame structure with a seating capacity of 160, was built in 1893. The organizers of the church were Ambrose Bearss, John Near, and Peter Roth, Bearss serving as minister and Near as deacon. Other ministers who have served the congregation are Eli Near, Al Near, and Jesse Fogelsonger. In 1952 Omar Near was the minister. In 1958 the membership was 52.


Author(s) Richard Near
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Near, Richard. "Shelby Reformed Mennonite Church (Oceana County, Michigan USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shelby_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Oceana_County,_Michigan_USA)&oldid=84916.

APA style

Near, Richard. (1959). Shelby Reformed Mennonite Church (Oceana County, Michigan USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shelby_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Oceana_County,_Michigan_USA)&oldid=84916.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 512. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.