Shamshabad, a Mennonite Brethren mission station in India, located near the large village of Shamshabad, 10 miles southwest of Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (formerly Central Provinces), was opened in 1920, and in the following years the Mission built two bungalows for missionaries, a church, two school buildings, hostels for school boys and girls, a hospital, and living quarters for workers and students. Johann H. and Maria Pankratz began the work in this area and resided at this station one year. Dr. Katharina L. Schellenberg and Anna Hanneman have lived and worked here many years. In 1957 the missionaries were Peter V. and Elizabeth Balzer, Emma Lepp, Helen Harder, and Marie Riediger.
Regular worship services and other church activities have been conducted at the station from its beginning. A middle and primary school has been conducted since 1920. In 1946-1948 the mission high school was located here, and the Bethany Bible School 1930-45. In 1927 the hospital was built and it is still in operation. The Shamshabad station field, comprising an area of 1,000 square miles and having a population of 160,000, in 1957 had a growing Christian community with a church membership of 800.
|Author(s)||J. H Lohrenz|
Cite This Article
Lohrenz, J. H. "Shamshabad Mennonite Brethren Mission (Shamshabad, Andhra Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shamshabad_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Shamshabad,_Andhra_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=96392.
Lohrenz, J. H. (1959). Shamshabad Mennonite Brethren Mission (Shamshabad, Andhra Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shamshabad_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Shamshabad,_Andhra_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=96392.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.