Seward County (Nebraska, USA)
Seward County, Nebraska, is located in the east central part of the state. The Mennonite settlement of the county is in and around Milford, a town of 951 population, in the south central part of the county. The four Mennonite churches (Mennonite Church) in the county, West Fairview, East Fairview, and Milford, and a new congregation formed in 1958 by members of East Fairview, had a combined membership of circa 650 in 1958. The first settlers were Amish Mennonites from Walnut Creek, Ohio, arriving in the spring of 1873; others came later from the Wayland (Iowa) neighborhood and from Central Illinois. In 1958 the Bellwood (MC) congregation was established with 55 charter members. A new congregation has also been formed with 22 members in Lincoln, Nebraska, of former members of the Milford, West Fairview, and East Fairview churches, who are now living in Lincoln.
|Author(s)||Amon M Miller|
Cite This Article
Miller, Amon M. "Seward County (Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Seward_County_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=96386.
Miller, Amon M. (1959). Seward County (Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Seward_County_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=96386.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 508. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.