From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m
m (Forced table of contents to top of page.)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__FORCETOC__
 +
__TOC__
 
Mennonites arrived in [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] in the 1920s from the [[Soviet Union]]. Originally they were hosted by Mennonites already residing in the province and settled in the [[Waterloo County (Ontario, Canada)|Waterloo County]] area. Eventually they spread out from there, mostly to the west and south-east. In the Niagara peninsula area they formed the [[Cornerstone Community Church (Virgil, Ontario, Canada)|Niagara]] and [[Vineland Mennonite Brethren Church (Vineland, Ontario, Canada)|Vineland]] congregations in the 1930s. Some of these families moved to St. Catharines and formed the St. Catharines Mennonite Brethren Church with 66 charter members on 6 November 1943. Gerhard J. Epp is considered the founding leader of the group.  
 
Mennonites arrived in [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] in the 1920s from the [[Soviet Union]]. Originally they were hosted by Mennonites already residing in the province and settled in the [[Waterloo County (Ontario, Canada)|Waterloo County]] area. Eventually they spread out from there, mostly to the west and south-east. In the Niagara peninsula area they formed the [[Cornerstone Community Church (Virgil, Ontario, Canada)|Niagara]] and [[Vineland Mennonite Brethren Church (Vineland, Ontario, Canada)|Vineland]] congregations in the 1930s. Some of these families moved to St. Catharines and formed the St. Catharines Mennonite Brethren Church with 66 charter members on 6 November 1943. Gerhard J. Epp is considered the founding leader of the group.  
  

Revision as of 16:56, 1 February 2014

Contents

Mennonites arrived in Ontario in the 1920s from the Soviet Union. Originally they were hosted by Mennonites already residing in the province and settled in the Waterloo County area. Eventually they spread out from there, mostly to the west and south-east. In the Niagara peninsula area they formed the Niagara and Vineland congregations in the 1930s. Some of these families moved to St. Catharines and formed the St. Catharines Mennonite Brethren Church with 66 charter members on 6 November 1943. Gerhard J. Epp is considered the founding leader of the group.

The congregation met in rented facilities for worship for several years. In 1949 they completed their own meeting house. In 1954 they built another meeting house at a new location to meet the increasing need for more space with a membership of 378. In 1964 they had again outgrown the space of this meeting house on Scott Street with a membership of 578 and so decided to form a daughter congregation which became the Fairview MB Church and the name of the remaining congregation was changed to the Scott Street MB Church. In 1965 the building was expanded. In 1966 the Tabor Home was founded next door for senior citizens. In 1973, with a membership of 632, a third congregation was formed which became the Grantham MB Church.

The congregation had only German worship until 1970 and then had an English and German worship service until the 1980s. In 1980 the membership stood at 493. This was necessitated mainly by the large influx of members from South America. Later both the Fairview-Louth and Gateway congregations were founded in the St. Catharines area.

The congregation voted to move to a single unified service of worship in English on 29 September 2011.

Bibliography

Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 50; (18 February 1994): 19; (December 2011).

Penner, Jacob. "The Organization and Development of the St. Catharines MB Church." 1957, 18 pp. Centre For Mennonite Brethren Studies.

"The Story of the Mennonite Brethren Church of St. Catharines (Scott St. MB Church) 1943-1968." 1968, 46 pp.

When Your Children Shall Ask: a History of the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, 1957-1982. 1982: 53-56.

Additional Information

Address: 339 Scott St., Box 2307, St. Catharines, ON  L2N 1J7

Phone: 905-937-6900.

Denominational Affiliations:

Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1943-present)

Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1946-present)

General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1943-2002)

Scott Street MB Church Leading Ministers

Minister Years of Service
Gerhard J. Epp 1943–1945
Heinrich H. Janzen 1946-1949
Gerhard J. Epp 1949-1953
Henry Penner 1953–1973
Abram Block 1973-1977
Henry Penner 1977-1985
John Letkemann 1985-1988
Henry Penner (interim) 1989
John Unrau 1990–1994
Victor Loewen (interim) 1995
Rudie Willms 1996–2000
Paul Fast (interim) 2001– 2002
Patrick Bartley 2002-2011
Jim Cober (interim) 2011-2013
Jurgen Rausch 2013-present

Scott Street MB Church Membership

Year Members
1958 498
1965 441
1985 487
1995 470
2000 375


Author(s) H. H. Janzen
Marlene Epp
Date Published January 1989


Cite This Article

MLA style

Janzen, H. H. and Marlene Epp. "Scott Street Mennonite Brethren Church (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scott_Street_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(St._Catharines,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=112545.

APA style

Janzen, H. H. and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Scott Street Mennonite Brethren Church (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scott_Street_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(St._Catharines,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=112545.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 401. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.