Scheuten, a Mennonite family of Krefeld, named from the farm "uf der Schutten" in the parish of München-Gladbach. Daem (Adam) Scheuten (1607-81) came to Krefeld in 1654, became a citizen there in 1679; he was a dealer in linen. As lay preachers of the Krefeld congregation mention should be made of his son Adam (1639-68) and his grandson Leonard Ewalds (d. 1743). His grandson Adam Scheuten (1697-1765), married to Aletta von der Leyen (1699-1757), the sister of Friedrich (1701-78) and Heinrich van der Leyen (1708-82), was a versatile industrialist in Krefeld. With his brothers Johann (1699-1757) and Hermann (1702-49) he was engaged in distilling brandy and vinegar, curing tobacco (a business he probably acquired with his wife's dowry); they also established a linseed oil plant and manufactured starch and barley grits. He also sold silk goods manufactured by his brothers-in-law, and built a warehouse in Essenberg (on the Rhine, opposite Ruhrort) in 1743 for better disposal of his wares. In the list of taxpayers in Krefeld he ranked among the most highly assessed, second only to his brothers-in-law. His grandson Adam Wilhelm Scheuten (1753-1801) endowed by bequest the "Scheutensche Lehranstalt," which later became the Krefeld Realgymnasium. The male line of the family died out in 1914. "Sammlung Scheuten" is a collection of genealogical notes on the history of the old Mennonite families of Krefeld, an important and reliable source, probably begun by Abraham Scheuten (1707-89), who was also a lay preacher, a grandson of Daem.
Beiträge zur Geschichte rheinischer Mennoniten. Weierhof, 1939: 123 f.
Die Heimat (Crefeld) IX: 274 ff., XVII No. 4.
Cite This Article
Risler, Walter. "Scheuten family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 7 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scheuten_family&oldid=60698.
Risler, Walter. (1959). Scheuten family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scheuten_family&oldid=60698.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.