Schäkowitz (Schackowitz, Schakowic), a Bruderhof of the Hutterian Brethren one-half mile south of Hustopeče (in German, Auspitz), Moravia, the Hutterite center; it was founded in 1533. The region was at that time the possession of the barons of Lipa-Kromau. In 1535, at the outbreak of persecution in Moravia, the Brethren were driven from the houses they had just recently built; for a long time they were compelled to camp with their children and their sick on the site of the desolate village of Starnitz (identical with Starlitz?) near Tracht on the Thaya, on Liechtenstein territory.
In 1582 the Brethren bought the Bruderhof at Schäkowitz for the third time. On 12 July 1605, it was burned down by Hungarian troops; two brethren were also killed. In 1609 the school was transferred to Gostel. In October 1622 the Brethren were driven out of Schäkowitz, with the loss of all their property. They settled in Hungary and Transylvania. (See also Scheikowitz, which in the variable spelling of the day was also called Schakowitz.)
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967: 104, 117, 281, 396, 408.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV, 45.
Wolkan, Rudolf. Geschicht-Buch der Hutterischen Brüder. Macleod, AB, and Vienna, 1923.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Schäkowitz (Moravia, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sch%C3%A4kowitz_(Moravia,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=93475.
Hege, Christian. (1959). Schäkowitz (Moravia, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sch%C3%A4kowitz_(Moravia,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=93475.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.