From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Sankra (Zion) Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located in Madhya Pradesh, 18 miles west of Dhamtari, a member of the [[Mennonite Church in India|India Mennonite Conference]], began as a mission in 1908, under [[Lapp, Mahlon Cassius (1872-1923)|M. C. Lapp]], [[Friesen, Peter Abraham  (1879-1967)|P. A. Friesen]], and [[Lapp, George Jay (1879-1951)|G. J. Lapp]], and was at first called the Zion Evangelistic Station. The first Christians came from other mission stations. Worship services were conducted on the veranda of the bungalow. In 1912 the Malguzar of Sankra offered a small plot of land in the hamlet for a church building, and in 1913 a small meetinghouse was built. The Christian community grew rapidly during the famine of 1920-21 when many people came to this and other mission stations for relief and responded to the appeals of the Gospel. A new and larger church was built in 1925 at the mission station, a mile from the village. Under Dr. Friesen a larger medical dispensary with an operating room and several wards was built in 1926. The missionaries also conducted roadside medical clinics. Soon after the Christian community was established at Sankra an elementary school for the children of the community was opened. The government school was some distance away. The children received more kindly consideration in the church schools. In 1946 the name appeared in the Yearbook (Scottdale) as Zion. In 1957 the membership was 102, with O. P. Lal and S. Paul Miller as ministers.
 
Sankra (Zion) Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located in Madhya Pradesh, 18 miles west of Dhamtari, a member of the [[Mennonite Church in India|India Mennonite Conference]], began as a mission in 1908, under [[Lapp, Mahlon Cassius (1872-1923)|M. C. Lapp]], [[Friesen, Peter Abraham  (1879-1967)|P. A. Friesen]], and [[Lapp, George Jay (1879-1951)|G. J. Lapp]], and was at first called the Zion Evangelistic Station. The first Christians came from other mission stations. Worship services were conducted on the veranda of the bungalow. In 1912 the Malguzar of Sankra offered a small plot of land in the hamlet for a church building, and in 1913 a small meetinghouse was built. The Christian community grew rapidly during the famine of 1920-21 when many people came to this and other mission stations for relief and responded to the appeals of the Gospel. A new and larger church was built in 1925 at the mission station, a mile from the village. Under Dr. Friesen a larger medical dispensary with an operating room and several wards was built in 1926. The missionaries also conducted roadside medical clinics. Soon after the Christian community was established at Sankra an elementary school for the children of the community was opened. The government school was some distance away. The children received more kindly consideration in the church schools. In 1946 the name appeared in the Yearbook (Scottdale) as Zion. In 1957 the membership was 102, with O. P. Lal and S. Paul Miller as ministers.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 417|date=1959|a1_last=Lapp|a1_first=George J|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 417|date=1959|a1_last=Lapp|a1_first=George J|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 18:58, 20 August 2013

Sankra (Zion) Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in Madhya Pradesh, 18 miles west of Dhamtari, a member of the India Mennonite Conference, began as a mission in 1908, under M. C. Lapp, P. A. Friesen, and G. J. Lapp, and was at first called the Zion Evangelistic Station. The first Christians came from other mission stations. Worship services were conducted on the veranda of the bungalow. In 1912 the Malguzar of Sankra offered a small plot of land in the hamlet for a church building, and in 1913 a small meetinghouse was built. The Christian community grew rapidly during the famine of 1920-21 when many people came to this and other mission stations for relief and responded to the appeals of the Gospel. A new and larger church was built in 1925 at the mission station, a mile from the village. Under Dr. Friesen a larger medical dispensary with an operating room and several wards was built in 1926. The missionaries also conducted roadside medical clinics. Soon after the Christian community was established at Sankra an elementary school for the children of the community was opened. The government school was some distance away. The children received more kindly consideration in the church schools. In 1946 the name appeared in the Yearbook (Scottdale) as Zion. In 1957 the membership was 102, with O. P. Lal and S. Paul Miller as ministers.


Author(s) George J Lapp
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Lapp, George J. "Sankra (Zion) Mennonite Church (Madhya Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sankra_(Zion)_Mennonite_Church_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=77409.

APA style

Lapp, George J. (1959). Sankra (Zion) Mennonite Church (Madhya Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sankra_(Zion)_Mennonite_Church_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=77409.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 417. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.