Salem Mennonite Church (Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Salem Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), now extinct, located about 5 miles southwest of the present town of Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, was probably organized in 1865. The Rupps, Desters, Schmitts, and possibly others from Lee County, Iowa, established the settlement. William Galle served for a time as elder and as the teacher in the parochial school. The largest number observing communion service was 31, in October 1876. About this time the members began moving to Kansas. The last business meeting of the church of which there is a record was held in November 1880.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. The Mennonites in Iowa. Iowa City, 1939: 86-92.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Salem Mennonite Church (Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Washington_County,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=77361.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Washington_County,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=77361.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 405. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.