From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Salem Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, located 8 miles north and 3 miles west of Copeland, Haskell County, Kansas, began in 1917, when the first members settled here, going to Montezuma for worship services until 1922. Jacob N. Yost was the first resident minister. In 1925 a new church was built, which was remodelled in 1947 to seat 300. Four ministers and two deacons have been ordained in the history of the church. Sunday school was started in 1922, and a sewing circle in the later 1920s. In 1957 the church had a membership of 175; the ministers were Vernon Nightengale, Orlan Wedel, and John Nightengale.


Author(s) Ezra Stauffer
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Stauffer, Ezra. "Salem Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Copeland, Haskell County, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 1 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Copeland,_Haskell_County,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=77332.

APA style

Stauffer, Ezra. (1959). Salem Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Copeland, Haskell County, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Copeland,_Haskell_County,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=77332.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 403. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.