From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Salem Children's Home, Flanagan, Illinois, an organization of the Evangelical Mennonite Church of North America, had its beginning in 1896, when Mr. and Mrs. Daniel King gave their 100-acre farm, located one-half mile east and two miles south of Flanagan, for an orphans' home. The first building was erected in 1898, and additions have been made as the work has grown. By the late 1950s provision was made for 80 to 90 children, besides rooms for the staff members. Farm lands included 300 acres in the surrounding community given by legacies of Henry Broad, Flanagan, IL, and Joseph Wagler, Groveland, IL. The Home was directed by a board chosen from the delegates of the Evangelical Mennonite Church, who in turn appointed staff members from volunteers to help unfortunate children. The Home had influenced the lives of some 1,050 children through the services of over 100 workers. In 1956 the superintendent was E. Dean Short, followed in 1957 by Vernon W. Zimmerman.


Author(s) E. Dean Short
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Short, E. Dean. "Salem Children's Home (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Children%27s_Home_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=77331.

APA style

Short, E. Dean. (1959). Salem Children's Home (Flanagan, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Children%27s_Home_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=77331.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 403. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.