From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Added image.)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[File:Salem-ZionMC2011-0124.jpg|400px|thumb|''Salem-Zion Mennonite Church Source: Mennonite Church USA Archives - North Newton [http://mla.bethelks.edu/archives/numbered-photos/pholist2.php?num=2011-0124 Photo Collection 2011-0124]''.]]
 +
 
Salem-Zion Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]]), located 5 miles east of Freeman, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], a member of the [[Northern District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church)|Northern District Conference]], was formed out of two congregations that had their origin in [[Russia|Russia]], coming from two separate Russian villages in [[Volhynia (Ukraine)|Volhynia]] in 1874, the Salem group from Horodyszcze and the Zion group from [[Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine)|Waldheim]]. After worshiping for a number of years in homes, they built separate meetinghouses and continued to worship separately until 1902, when the Zion church was destroyed by a cyclone. Then the two congregations merged, forming the Salem-Zion church. The first ministers immigrated with their congregations in 1874. With the Salem group came Peter Kaufman as elder and Christian Graber as minister. In 1878 the Salem church elected Christian Kaufman as elder and Christian Mueller as minister. In 1907 a group organized the present [[Salem Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)|Salem Mennonite Church]] with Christian Mueller as minister. When the Zion church was destroyed, Joseph Kaufman of that church served in the Salem-Zion church. In 1957 the congregation had a membership of 426, with Olin A. Krehbiel as pastor, who succeeded Russell L. Mast. A new meetinghouse was dedicated in 1958.
 
Salem-Zion Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]]), located 5 miles east of Freeman, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], a member of the [[Northern District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church)|Northern District Conference]], was formed out of two congregations that had their origin in [[Russia|Russia]], coming from two separate Russian villages in [[Volhynia (Ukraine)|Volhynia]] in 1874, the Salem group from Horodyszcze and the Zion group from [[Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine)|Waldheim]]. After worshiping for a number of years in homes, they built separate meetinghouses and continued to worship separately until 1902, when the Zion church was destroyed by a cyclone. Then the two congregations merged, forming the Salem-Zion church. The first ministers immigrated with their congregations in 1874. With the Salem group came Peter Kaufman as elder and Christian Graber as minister. In 1878 the Salem church elected Christian Kaufman as elder and Christian Mueller as minister. In 1907 a group organized the present [[Salem Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)|Salem Mennonite Church]] with Christian Mueller as minister. When the Zion church was destroyed, Joseph Kaufman of that church served in the Salem-Zion church. In 1957 the congregation had a membership of 426, with Olin A. Krehbiel as pastor, who succeeded Russell L. Mast. A new meetinghouse was dedicated in 1958.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 407|date=1959|a1_last=Mast|a1_first=Russell L|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 407|date=1959|a1_last=Mast|a1_first=Russell L|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 04:35, 24 September 2013

Salem-Zion Mennonite Church Source: Mennonite Church USA Archives - North Newton Photo Collection 2011-0124.

Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), located 5 miles east of Freeman, South Dakota, a member of the Northern District Conference, was formed out of two congregations that had their origin in Russia, coming from two separate Russian villages in Volhynia in 1874, the Salem group from Horodyszcze and the Zion group from Waldheim. After worshiping for a number of years in homes, they built separate meetinghouses and continued to worship separately until 1902, when the Zion church was destroyed by a cyclone. Then the two congregations merged, forming the Salem-Zion church. The first ministers immigrated with their congregations in 1874. With the Salem group came Peter Kaufman as elder and Christian Graber as minister. In 1878 the Salem church elected Christian Kaufman as elder and Christian Mueller as minister. In 1907 a group organized the present Salem Mennonite Church with Christian Mueller as minister. When the Zion church was destroyed, Joseph Kaufman of that church served in the Salem-Zion church. In 1957 the congregation had a membership of 426, with Olin A. Krehbiel as pastor, who succeeded Russell L. Mast. A new meetinghouse was dedicated in 1958.


Author(s) Russell L Mast
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Mast, Russell L. "Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem-Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Freeman,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=101793.

APA style

Mast, Russell L. (1959). Salem-Zion Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem-Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Freeman,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=101793.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 407. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.