Rudri, a former station of the Mennonite (Mennonite Church
) Mission in Madhya Pradesh
(now located in the state of Chhattisgarh), India, situated 4 miles south of Dhamtari. The site of 50 acres was bought by the Mission in 1902. It had been felt by the missionaries then in charge of the orphanages that the boys and girls should live in separate stations; the girls' orphanage was therefore built at Rudri in 1904. In 1912, however, when the Canal Department of the government decided to construct a large irrigation system with Rudri as its headquarters, it requisitioned all the buildings of the station. The mission then moved the orphanage to Balodgahan
. The Mission was reluctant to give up Rudri because of its strategic position near a large river and also among villages where evangelistic work could be carried on. The Rudri Christian families moved to Maradeo, owned by an Indian convert, in which settlement is now a small but very active Christian community. A small grove by the riverside one mile from Rudri became the permanent camping place for the annual conferences and meetings for the deepening of spiritual life.
|| George J Lapp
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Lapp, George J. "Rudri Mennonite Mission (Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rudri_Mennonite_Mission_(Dhamtari,_Chhattisgarh,_India)&oldid=96316.
Lapp, George J. (1959). Rudri Mennonite Mission (Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rudri_Mennonite_Mission_(Dhamtari,_Chhattisgarh,_India)&oldid=96316.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 376. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.