The Rudnerweide Sommerfeld Mennonite Church began in 1885; the first church was dedicated on 14 June 1885 when it was a Reinländer congregation; it was destroyed by fire in 1903. Bishop Abraham Doerksen dedicated a new building on 3 July 1905. In 1954 the building was moved to the northwest corner of the quarter section. Abraham Doerksen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Bergthaler Mennonites.
Bishop John A. Friesen served in 1993 as a non-salaried congregational leader. In 1993 there were 46 members. The congregation has been affiliated with the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church of Manitoba. The language of worship is English. It had German services prior to 1983, and combined German-English services from 1983-1996.
Sunday school started in 1951. An organ was installed in 1988.
Peters, Jake. "An Annotated Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1979.
Sommerfeld Mennonite Church Centennial Celebrations, July 4, 1993, Morris, Manitoba, 1893-1993. 1993: 10.
Bargen, Peter. History of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church: That Is The Background and First Hundred Years of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church. Altona, MB: Sommerfeld Mennonite Church, 2001: 188.
|Date Published||March 1997|
 Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Rudnerweide Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Rudnerweide, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 1997. Web. 30 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rudnerweide_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Rudnerweide,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=77305.
Steiner, Sam. (March 1997). Rudnerweide Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Rudnerweide, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rudnerweide_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Rudnerweide,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=77305.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.