Rottenbauer (Freistaat Bayern, Germany)
Rottenbauer, a village (1944 population, 736; 3,314 in 2006) in the Würzburg area (coordinates: 49° 43′ 20″ N, 9° 58′ 0″ E) of Bavaria, Germany, became the seat of a Mennonite congregation about 1810, founded by Mennonites from Baden. The center of the congregation was later moved to Giebelstadt and Würzburg. By 1936 there were no Mennonites living in Rottenbauer. In 1839 the congregations of Rottenbauer and Bildhausen published a hymnal of their own with 575 hymns, Christliches Gesangbuch zunächst für Mennoniten. Herausgegeben von der Mennoniten-Brüder Gemeinschaft in Unterfranken (Würzburg, 1839).
In 1857 the congregation had 110 baptized members; Heinrich Landes of Albertshausen was the elder (preacher 1824, elder 1839), and the preachers were Jakob Horsch (from 1835), Michael Bachmann (1835), Samuel Mosemann (1845), and Heinrich Burkholder (1852).
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 554.
Cite This Article
Crous, Ernst. "Rottenbauer (Freistaat Bayern, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rottenbauer_(Freistaat_Bayern,_Germany)&oldid=84744.
Crous, Ernst. (1959). Rottenbauer (Freistaat Bayern, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rottenbauer_(Freistaat_Bayern,_Germany)&oldid=84744.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 371. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.