From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:31, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Rosthern, Saskatchewan, is a town (population, 2,000 in 1959, 1,382 in 2006; coordinates: 52° 39′ 40″ N, 106° 20′ 0″ W) halfway between Saskatoon and Prince Albert. It was started in 1902 by Gerhard Ens; the first settlers were Mennonites. By the late 1950s it had many nationalities and ten churches, of which the Mennonite church was the largest. Most of the stores at that time were owned by Mennonites, especially Friesens. Rosthern was also the seat of the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization 1922-47, the time when David Toews (died 1946) of Rosthern served as chairman, through which over 20,000 Mennonites were brought into Canada, mostly from Russia, and the seat of Der Bote, which had been printed and published here from the beginning.

Maps

Map:Rosthern, Saskatchewan


Author(s) J. G Rempel
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Rempel, J. G. "Rosthern (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosthern_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=84730.

APA style

Rempel, J. G. (1959). Rosthern (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosthern_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=84730.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 362. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.