Rosedale Hutterite Bruderhof of the Schmiedeleut group, located near Mitchell, South Dakota, was founded by several families from the Milltown Bruderhof, including Joseph Hofer, a minister. In 1904 Paul Gross was chosen as preacher. In 1918 this Bruderhof was sold, and the Brethren moved to Canada and established the Rosedale Bruderhof near Elie, Manitoba. In 1945 Joseph Waldner Sr., with ten families from the Rockport (South Dakota) Bruderhof, bought the original Rosedale farm and re-established the Bruderhof. Joseph A. Waldner, chosen to the ministry in 1950 and ordained in 1957, was the minister in 1958. In 1947 there were 30 baptized members and a total population of 87; in 1958 there were 47 members.
Daughter colonies of Rosedale Hutterite Colony include: Cameron Hutterite Colony (Viborg, South Dakota); Millbrook Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota); and White Rock Hutterite Colony (Rosholt, South Dakota).
In 2012 the Rosedale Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Davey Waldner and the manager was Joshua Waldner, Jr.
Location: Mitchell, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.624167, -97.872222 [43˚ 37′ 27″ N, 97˚ 52′ 20″ W])
Address: 25986 Rosedale Rd., Mitchell, SD 57301-7515
|Author(s)||David, Joseph A. Waldner Decker|
|Date Published||March 2013|
Cite This Article
Decker, David, Joseph A. Waldner and Bert Friesen. "Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 6 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosedale_Hutterite_Colony_(Mitchell,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=96293.
Decker, David, Joseph A. Waldner and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rosedale_Hutterite_Colony_(Mitchell,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=96293.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.