Rockport Hutterite Bruderhof, of the Schmiedeleut branch, 6 miles southwest of Alexandria, South Dakota. The site was settled first in 1891 by a Lehrerleut group from the Old Elm Spring Bruderhof with the preachers Jakob Wipf and Johann Kleinsasser. This group branched out in 1931 and founded the Hutterville Bruderhof near Magrath. In 1934 they sold Rockport and moved to Alberta, founding the O. K. Bruderhof near Raymond. The present occupants came from the Bon Homme Bruderhof with twelve families and Preacher Joseph Waldner. Daniel S. Wipf was chosen as minister here in 1934; later John J. Waldner was chosen, who is now in the Riverside Colony, Huron, South Dakota. In 1945 they branched out to found Rosedale in South Dakota, and in 1949 Huron, South Dakota. David Wipf was chosen as assistant minister in 1954. The membership of Rockport was 32 in 1958, and the total population 123.
In 2012 the Rockport Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Joseph Wipf and the manager was Ben Wipf.
 Additional Information
Location: Alexandria, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.5825, -97.841944 [43˚ 34′ 57″ N, 97˚ 50′ 31″ W])
Address: 26209 Rockport Rd., Alexandria, SD 57311-7201
|Author(s)||David, Daniel S. Wipf Decker|
|Date Published||March 2013|
 Cite This Article
Decker, David, Daniel S. Wipf and Bert Friesen. "Rockport Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 22 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockport_Hutterite_Colony_(Alexandria,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=84632.
Decker, David, Daniel S. Wipf and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Rockport Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockport_Hutterite_Colony_(Alexandria,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=84632.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.