Difference between revisions of "Rockport Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
Rockport [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]], of the [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] branch, 6 miles southwest of Alexandria, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. The site was settled first in 1891 by a [[Lehrerleut|Lehrerleut]] group from the [[Elmspring Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)|Old Elm Spring Bruderhof]] with the preachers Jakob [[Wipf family|Wipf]] and Johann Kleinsasser. This group branched out in 1931 and founded the [[Hutterville Hutterite Colony (Magrath, Alberta, Canada)|Hutterville Bruderhof]] near Magrath. In 1934 they sold Rockport and moved to [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]], founding the [[O. K. Hutterite Colony (Raymond, Alberta, Canada)|O. K. Bruderhof]] near Raymond. The present occupants came from the [[Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Tabor, South Dakota, USA)|Bon Homme Bruderhof]] with twelve families and Preacher Joseph Waldner. Daniel S. Wipf was chosen as minister here in 1934; later John J. Waldner was chosen, who is now in the [[Riverside Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)|Riverside Colony]], Huron, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. In 1945 they branched out to found [[Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA)|Rosedale in South Dakota]], and in 1949 [[Huron Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)|Huron, South Dakota]]. David Wipf was chosen as assistant minister in 1954. The membership of Rockport was 32 in 1958, and the total population 123.
 
Rockport [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]], of the [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] branch, 6 miles southwest of Alexandria, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. The site was settled first in 1891 by a [[Lehrerleut|Lehrerleut]] group from the [[Elmspring Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)|Old Elm Spring Bruderhof]] with the preachers Jakob [[Wipf family|Wipf]] and Johann Kleinsasser. This group branched out in 1931 and founded the [[Hutterville Hutterite Colony (Magrath, Alberta, Canada)|Hutterville Bruderhof]] near Magrath. In 1934 they sold Rockport and moved to [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]], founding the [[O. K. Hutterite Colony (Raymond, Alberta, Canada)|O. K. Bruderhof]] near Raymond. The present occupants came from the [[Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Tabor, South Dakota, USA)|Bon Homme Bruderhof]] with twelve families and Preacher Joseph Waldner. Daniel S. Wipf was chosen as minister here in 1934; later John J. Waldner was chosen, who is now in the [[Riverside Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)|Riverside Colony]], Huron, [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]]. In 1945 they branched out to found [[Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA)|Rosedale in South Dakota]], and in 1949 [[Huron Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)|Huron, South Dakota]]. David Wipf was chosen as assistant minister in 1954. The membership of Rockport was 32 in 1958, and the total population 123.
  
In 2016 the Rockport Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Joseph Wipf and the manager was Donny Wipf.
+
Daughter colonies of the Rockport Hutterite Colony include: [[Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA)|Rosedale Hutterite Colony]] (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA); [[Riverside Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)|Riverside Hutterite Colony]] (Huron, South Dakota, USA); [[Fairview Hutterite Colony (La Moure, North Dakota, USA)|Fairview Hutterite Colony]] (La Moure, North Dakota, USA); [[Oak Lane Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)|Oak Lane Hutterite Colony]] (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA); and [[Shannon Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA)|Shannon Hutterite Colony]] (Winfred, South Dakota, USA).
= Additional Information =
 
'''Location''': Alexandria, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.5825, -97.841944 [43˚ 34′ 57″ N, 97˚ 50′ 31″ W])
 
  
'''Address''': 26209 Rockport Rd., Alexandria, SD 57311-7201
 
 
'''Phone''': 605-239-4422
 
  
 +
In 2017 the Rockport Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.
 +
= Additional Information =
 +
== Location ==
 +
Alexandria, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.5825, -97.841944 [43˚ 34′ 57″ N, 97˚ 50′ 31″ W])
 +
== Address ==
 +
26209 Rockport Rd., Alexandria, SD 57311-7201
 +
== Phone ==
 +
605-239-4422
 +
== Managers and Ministers ==
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
! Manager !! Minister !! Years
 +
|-
 +
| Ben Wipf || Joseph Wipf || 2006
 +
|-
 +
| Ben Wipf || Joseph Wipf || 2010
 +
|-
 +
| Donny Wipf || Joseph Wipf || 2015
 +
|-
 +
| Donny Wipf || Joseph Wipf || 2017
 +
|}
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Rockport Hutterite Colony, Alexandria, South Dakota|Map:Rockport Hutterite Colony, Alexandria, South Dakota]]
 
[[Map:Rockport Hutterite Colony, Alexandria, South Dakota|Map:Rockport Hutterite Colony, Alexandria, South Dakota]]
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 349|date=March 2013|a1_last=Decker|a1_first=David, Daniel S. Wipf|a2_last=Friesen|a2_first=Bert}}
+
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 349|date=November 2017|a1_last=Decker|a1_first=David, Daniel S. Wipf|a2_last=Friesen|a2_first=Bert}}
 
[[Category:Hutterite Colonies]]
 
[[Category:Hutterite Colonies]]
 
[[Category:South Dakota Hutterite Colonies]]
 
[[Category:South Dakota Hutterite Colonies]]
 
[[Category:American Hutterite Colonies]]
 
[[Category:American Hutterite Colonies]]

Revision as of 20:52, 2 November 2017

Rockport Hutterite Bruderhof, of the Schmiedeleut branch, 6 miles southwest of Alexandria, South Dakota. The site was settled first in 1891 by a Lehrerleut group from the Old Elm Spring Bruderhof with the preachers Jakob Wipf and Johann Kleinsasser. This group branched out in 1931 and founded the Hutterville Bruderhof near Magrath. In 1934 they sold Rockport and moved to Alberta, founding the O. K. Bruderhof near Raymond. The present occupants came from the Bon Homme Bruderhof with twelve families and Preacher Joseph Waldner. Daniel S. Wipf was chosen as minister here in 1934; later John J. Waldner was chosen, who is now in the Riverside Colony, Huron, South Dakota. In 1945 they branched out to found Rosedale in South Dakota, and in 1949 Huron, South Dakota. David Wipf was chosen as assistant minister in 1954. The membership of Rockport was 32 in 1958, and the total population 123.

Daughter colonies of the Rockport Hutterite Colony include: Rosedale Hutterite Colony (Mitchell, South Dakota, USA); Riverside Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA); Fairview Hutterite Colony (La Moure, North Dakota, USA); Oak Lane Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA); and Shannon Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA).


In 2017 the Rockport Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.

Additional Information

Location

Alexandria, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.5825, -97.841944 [43˚ 34′ 57″ N, 97˚ 50′ 31″ W])

Address

26209 Rockport Rd., Alexandria, SD 57311-7201

Phone

605-239-4422

Managers and Ministers

Manager Minister Years
Ben Wipf Joseph Wipf 2006
Ben Wipf Joseph Wipf 2010
Donny Wipf Joseph Wipf 2015
Donny Wipf Joseph Wipf 2017

Maps

Map:Rockport Hutterite Colony, Alexandria, South Dakota


Author(s) David, Daniel S. Wipf Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published November 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David, Daniel S. Wipf and Bert Friesen. "Rockport Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2017. Web. 21 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockport_Hutterite_Colony_(Alexandria,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155595.

APA style

Decker, David, Daniel S. Wipf and Bert Friesen. (November 2017). Rockport Hutterite Colony (Alexandria, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockport_Hutterite_Colony_(Alexandria,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155595.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 349. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.