From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Roanoke [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], located 2 miles west and 2 miles south of Roanoke, [[Woodford County (Illinois, USA)|Woodford County, Illinois]], is a member of the [[Illinois Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA) |Illinois Conference]]. Settlers from [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], [[Alsace (France)|Alsace-Lorraine]], and [[Germany|Germany]] settled in the vicinity in 1829, including David Schertz, the first minister. In 1875 the first frame church was erected and dedicated. This was replaced by a brick church in 1920 with a seating capacity of 185, which was enlarged in 1957 to accommodate 325. The majority of the members are farmers, active and retired. The outstanding early bishop was [[Smith, John (1843-1906)|John Smith (1843-1906]]), ordained preacher 1887, bishop about 1890. Ezra Yordy, of Eureka, was ordained bishop on 25 September 1925, and served until 1957. The membership in 1958 was 316. John L. Harnish, ordained minister on 24 December 1922, served until 1952. Wesley Jantz became pastor in 1957.
 
Roanoke [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], located 2 miles west and 2 miles south of Roanoke, [[Woodford County (Illinois, USA)|Woodford County, Illinois]], is a member of the [[Illinois Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA) |Illinois Conference]]. Settlers from [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], [[Alsace (France)|Alsace-Lorraine]], and [[Germany|Germany]] settled in the vicinity in 1829, including David Schertz, the first minister. In 1875 the first frame church was erected and dedicated. This was replaced by a brick church in 1920 with a seating capacity of 185, which was enlarged in 1957 to accommodate 325. The majority of the members are farmers, active and retired. The outstanding early bishop was [[Smith, John (1843-1906)|John Smith (1843-1906]]), ordained preacher 1887, bishop about 1890. Ezra Yordy, of Eureka, was ordained bishop on 25 September 1925, and served until 1957. The membership in 1958 was 316. John L. Harnish, ordained minister on 24 December 1922, served until 1952. Wesley Jantz became pastor in 1957.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 346|date=1959|a1_last=Hartzler|a1_first=John D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 346|date=1959|a1_last=Hartzler|a1_first=John D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 19:30, 20 August 2013

Roanoke Mennonite Church, located 2 miles west and 2 miles south of Roanoke, Woodford County, Illinois, is a member of the Illinois Conference. Settlers from Ohio, Alsace-Lorraine, and Germany settled in the vicinity in 1829, including David Schertz, the first minister. In 1875 the first frame church was erected and dedicated. This was replaced by a brick church in 1920 with a seating capacity of 185, which was enlarged in 1957 to accommodate 325. The majority of the members are farmers, active and retired. The outstanding early bishop was John Smith (1843-1906), ordained preacher 1887, bishop about 1890. Ezra Yordy, of Eureka, was ordained bishop on 25 September 1925, and served until 1957. The membership in 1958 was 316. John L. Harnish, ordained minister on 24 December 1922, served until 1952. Wesley Jantz became pastor in 1957.


Author(s) John D Hartzler
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hartzler, John D. "Roanoke Mennonite Church (Roanoke, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Roanoke_Mennonite_Church_(Roanoke,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=84620.

APA style

Hartzler, John D. (1959). Roanoke Mennonite Church (Roanoke, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Roanoke_Mennonite_Church_(Roanoke,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=84620.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 346. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.