Repaix (Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine, France)
Repaix, a village in Lorraine, near Blamont, was the seat of a Mennonite congregation that in 1871-1918 lay on both sides of the German-French boundary. In 1888 it had 85 baptized members and 65 children. The elders were Fougond on the (at that time) German side, and Mosimann on the French side. Baptism was performed after instruction upon desire at the age of 13 or 14. Feetwashing was celebrated with the Lord's Supper. In 1908 there were 73 baptized members living in 10 villages. The elders were Christian Lehmann on the German side and Pierre Sommer (Junior) on the French side. In 1928 the congregation was reported to be dying out; the elder was Jean Lidviller. In 1938 the congregation merged with Luneville. In 1907 Repaix-Avricour was the scene of a meeting of the French congregations, which resulted in the organization of a conference.
Almanach Mennonite, du Cinquantenaire 1901-1951. Montbeliard, 1951: 43.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 475.
Mannhardt, H. G. Jahrbuch der altevangelischen Taufgesinnten oder Mennoniten (1888): 43.
Mennonitischer Gemeinde-Kalender (1902): passim.
Cite This Article
Crous, Ernst. "Repaix (Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Repaix_(Meurthe-et-Moselle,_Lorraine,_France)&oldid=96213.
Crous, Ernst. (1959). Repaix (Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Repaix_(Meurthe-et-Moselle,_Lorraine,_France)&oldid=96213.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 300. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.