From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:29, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Reiff Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), formerly known as Witmer's Church, is located near Maugansville, Washington County, Maryland. In 1833 a group of families from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, settled on homesteads in this community. Families represented were Reiff, Horst, Weber, Eshleman, and Martin. They worshiped in the nearby home of David Reiff until 1840, when a church was built on the present site and named for the man who granted the deed. In 1867 it was enlarged, and in 1891 it was replaced by a new brick building. The present building, the largest in the district, was erected in 1928. The first bishop, Peter Eshleman, was ordained in 1838. Ministers who have served the congregation were John Summers, Michael Horst (later bishop), Abram Ebersole, Jacob Risser, George Keener, C. R. Strite, Martin E. Risser, D. R. Lesher, Moses K. Horst (present bishop), Stanley H. Martin, and Reuben E. Martin. The membership in 1957 was 389.


Author(s) John D Risser
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Risser, John D. "Reiff Mennonite Church (Washington County, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reiff_Mennonite_Church_(Washington_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=84405.

APA style

Risser, John D. (1959). Reiff Mennonite Church (Washington County, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reiff_Mennonite_Church_(Washington_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=84405.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 276. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.