From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Red Run Mennonite Church (formerly Mennonite Church), Grantsville, Maryland, established in 1947, was a mission in the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. Red Run stated out by meeting in homes in 1953. Later a small meeting house was given to the church. In the early years it was served by lay Christians until later in the 1950s when a few ministers started preaching on Sunday afternoons. The church was expanded in 1975 when it became an established church and had a regular minister. In 1998 a third addition was added on. The church primarily ministered to mountain type people.

In 1957 it had a membership of 15, with Vernon Yoder as pastor. In 2015 the membership was 31 and Merle Durst was minister.

In March 2015 Red Run Mennonite Church submitted a letter of withdrawal from membership in the Allegheny Mennonite Conference, citing differences about how to deal with same-sex relationships.

[edit] Bibliography

Houser, Gordon. "Allegheny Narrowly Votes to Reinstate Hyattsville." The Mennonite. 9 March 2015. Web. 9 March 2015. https://themennonite.org/daily-news/allegheny-votes-to-reinstate-hyattsville/.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 662 Meyersdale Road, Grantsville, MD 21536

Phone: 814-634-9250


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published March 2015


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Red Run Mennonite Church (Grantsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2015. Web. 28 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Red_Run_Mennonite_Church_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=131243.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (March 2015). Red Run Mennonite Church (Grantsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Red_Run_Mennonite_Church_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=131243.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 263. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.