The Reading Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church) was opened as a result of the study of the Book of Acts in the Gehman District of Lancaster Mennonite Conference. The first service was held on 8 January 1922. Jacob Gehman became the first superintendent in January 1923. The center was moved to 558 North 11th Street and in 1926 to the former Lutheran church at 12th and Windsor Streets. In 1958 Arthur Good and Paul Angstadt were the ministers, with a membership of 40. The first regional Bible school was held here in 1955. The Girls’ Home (see Mennonite Girls’ Home) has been an aid to the Mission over the years.
For many years the congregation was known as the Twelfth and Windsor Mennonite Church because of its location. It was then known as the Hampden Mennonite Church. In September 2008 it changed its name to Destiny Christian Ministries.
 Additional Information
Address: Corner of Hampden Blvd. & Windsor St., Reading Pennsylvania 19612-4414
Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
|Date Published||June 2014|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "Destiny Christian Ministries (Reading, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2014. Web. 27 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Destiny_Christian_Ministries_(Reading,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122961.
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (June 2014). Destiny Christian Ministries (Reading, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Destiny_Christian_Ministries_(Reading,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122961.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.