From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Prangenau, a village in the Molotschna Mennonite settlement in South Russia, was established in 1824 on the right bank of the Yushanlee River, about 50 miles from Berdyansk. The first elder, Gerhard Wall, proposed that the village be named for Prangenau of West Prussia. Originally the village had 23 families, about half of whom had come from the Chortitza Mennonite settlement of South Russia, and the others from the Marienburg and Tilsit areas of Prussia.  The village was destroyed after World War II.

[edit] Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 388.

Wolter, Margarete. "Die Gemeindeberichte von 1848 der deutschen Siedlungen am Schwarzen Meer." Sammluug Georg Liebbrandt IV. Leipzig, 1941: 151 f.


Author(s) Benjamin H Unruh
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, Benjamin H. "Prangenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prangenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=84167.

APA style

Unruh, Benjamin H. (1959). Prangenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prangenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=84167.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 210. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.