From GAMEO
Revision as of 01:26, 20 January 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Prangenau, a village in the Molotschna Mennonite settlement in South Russia, was established in 1824 on the right bank of the Yushanlee River, about 50 miles from Berdyansk. The first elder, Gerhard Wall, proposed that the village be named for Prangenau of West Prussia. Originally the village had 23 families, about half of whom had come from the Chortitza Mennonite settlement of South Russia, and the others from the Marienburg and Tilsit areas of Prussia.  The village was destroyed after World War II.

Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 388.

Wolter, Margarete. "Die Gemeindeberichte von 1848 der deutschen Siedlungen am Schwarzen Meer." Sammluug Georg Liebbrandt IV. Leipzig, 1941: 151 f.


Author(s) Benjamin H Unruh
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, Benjamin H. "Prangenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prangenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=106596.

APA style

Unruh, Benjamin H. (1959). Prangenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prangenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=106596.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 210. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.