From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Powder Spring Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), now ex­tinct, located 12 miles west of Mount Jackson, Shen­andoah County, [[Virginia (USA)|Virginia]], was probably the first rural out­post under the [[Virginia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Virginia Mennonite Conference]]. The meeting­house was originally built in 1858 for school and church services by three denominations, the Lu­therans having one-half interest, and the Brethren and Mennonites each one-fourth interest. Here the Mennonites held services once a month and some­times twice a month until the Woodland Tabernacle was built in 1944. A more permanent church was built in 1954. James Gross was ordained pastor in 1957. The work here was never flourishing, since it was in the midst of a strong German Lutheran community.
 
Powder Spring Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), now ex­tinct, located 12 miles west of Mount Jackson, Shen­andoah County, [[Virginia (USA)|Virginia]], was probably the first rural out­post under the [[Virginia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Virginia Mennonite Conference]]. The meeting­house was originally built in 1858 for school and church services by three denominations, the Lu­therans having one-half interest, and the Brethren and Mennonites each one-fourth interest. Here the Mennonites held services once a month and some­times twice a month until the Woodland Tabernacle was built in 1944. A more permanent church was built in 1954. James Gross was ordained pastor in 1957. The work here was never flourishing, since it was in the midst of a strong German Lutheran community.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 208|date=1959|a1_last=Showalter|a1_first=Timothy|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 208|date=1959|a1_last=Showalter|a1_first=Timothy|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 19:28, 20 August 2013

Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now ex­tinct, located 12 miles west of Mount Jackson, Shen­andoah County, Virginia, was probably the first rural out­post under the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The meeting­house was originally built in 1858 for school and church services by three denominations, the Lu­therans having one-half interest, and the Brethren and Mennonites each one-fourth interest. Here the Mennonites held services once a month and some­times twice a month until the Woodland Tabernacle was built in 1944. A more permanent church was built in 1954. James Gross was ordained pastor in 1957. The work here was never flourishing, since it was in the midst of a strong German Lutheran community.


Author(s) Timothy Showalter
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Showalter, Timothy. "Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mount Jackson, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Powder_Spring_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Jackson,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=84149.

APA style

Showalter, Timothy. (1959). Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mount Jackson, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Powder_Spring_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Jackson,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=84149.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 208. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.