From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now ex­tinct, located 12 miles west of Mount Jackson, Shen­andoah County, Virginia, was probably the first rural out­post under the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The meeting­house was originally built in 1858 for school and church services by three denominations, the Lu­therans having one-half interest, and the Brethren and Mennonites each one-fourth interest. Here the Mennonites held services once a month and some­times twice a month until the Woodland Tabernacle was built in 1944. A more permanent church was built in 1954. James Gross was ordained pastor in 1957. The work here was never flourishing, since it was in the midst of a strong German Lutheran community.


Author(s) Timothy Showalter
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Showalter, Timothy. "Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mount Jackson, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Powder_Spring_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Jackson,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=84149.

APA style

Showalter, Timothy. (1959). Powder Spring Mennonite Church (Mount Jackson, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Powder_Spring_Mennonite_Church_(Mount_Jackson,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=84149.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 208. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.