From GAMEO
Revision as of 16:24, 20 January 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Poppingawier, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, where there has been a Mennonite congregation since earliest times. It was usually united with the Irnsum congregation. Only in 1871-1879 did it have its own preacher (J. J. Honig 1871-75, G. Vrijer 1875-79). Nothing is known of its early history. Until 1848, when a church was built, the congregation met in a private home. The baptized membership in 1899 was 95, and in 1958 it was 41.

Bibliography

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1870): 140 note, 152; (1872): 191; (1887): 147.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 383.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 5 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppingawier_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109904.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppingawier_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109904.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 203. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.