Poppau was founded by colonists in ca. 1700. Until 1793 Poppau was part of Danzig in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. Poppau became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In the 1793 Danzig census there were five Mennonite families in Poppau with the following surnames: Andres, Bruhn, Dick, and Tiessen. In 1820, Poppau had 55 residents, including 25 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Poppau were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Popowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 2 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=418&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Popowo, Nowy Dwór Gdański County." Web. 2 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popowo, Nowy Dwór Gdański County.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 2 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=5232.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Poppau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 26 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96095.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Poppau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96095.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.