Until 1793 Altebabke was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Altebabke was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg. Altebabke became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2013 it was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1793 there were 11 Mennonite families (55 individuals) in Altebabke with the following surnames: Dick, Enss, Friesen, Penner, Philippsche, Reimer, von Riesen, Toewss, and Woelcke. In 1820 Altebabke, along with the hamlets of Polnische Huben and Schröderskampe (now Zabłocie), had 150 inhabitants, of which 45 were Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Altebabke were members of the Bärwalde Mennonite Church.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 31 March 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=128.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2013|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Altebabke (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 7 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altebabke_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94036.
Thiessen, Richard D. (March 2013). Altebabke (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altebabke_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94036.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.