Plum Coulee (Manitoba, Canada)
Plum Coulee, a village (population was 500 in 1959, 800 in 2006) located 9 miles west of Rosenfeld, Manitoba, on a creek named Plum Coulee, because delicious wild plums grew on both sides of the creek. It began in 1888 when the Canadian Pacific Railroad completed the Pembina branch. It was incorporated as a village municipality in 1901 and officially opened as such 1 January 1902, with A. A. Harder as its first mayor. In 1897 Plum Coulee had seven grain elevators; a large surrounding area shipped all its grain to this spot. The town had four churches in 1958: Sommerfelder, built in 1917, the Bergthaler, the largest in membership, built in 1926, the Rudnerweide church and the Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, built in the 1950s. John J. Hooge served the Bergthaler congregation for many years. The village is noted for its tree-lined streets where formerly there was only open, bald prairie.
|Author(s)||H. H Hamm|
Cite This Article
Hamm, H. H. "Plum Coulee (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plum_Coulee_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=84081.
Hamm, H. H. (1959). Plum Coulee (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plum_Coulee_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=84081.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 197. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.