Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church [MC]), near Brethren, Manistee County, Michigan, had its origin in 1903, when William Lantz, the first Mennonite to locate in the area, settled here. Other settlers followed, mostly from the Howard-Miami Amish Mennonite (now MC) congregation near Kokomo, Indiana. E. A. Mast, bishop of the Howard-Miami congregation, organized the Manistee Amish Mennonites into the Pleasantview congregation on 9 September 1904. Included among the first members was Joseph S. Horner (1864-1945), a preacher. The new congregation in Manistee County worshiped in a log cabin until 1906, when a church building was erected in Brown Township. Four years later, in December 1910, Horner moved back to his home congregation, Howard-Miami. At about that point the membership was 48. But soon a decline set in as families moved away. Finally only one family remained. In 1917 the church building was sold to the Church of the Brethren, only to revert later to Mennonite ownership. Two years later, in May 1919, C. C. Culp was placed in the Pleasantview congregation by the district mission board to serve as pastor and mission worker. He served there until his death in 1953. Lester Wyse also served as a minister in the congregation for a number of years until his removal to Ohio. In 1957 the minister was Warren Shaum, with a baptized membership of 30. The congregation is not independently organized but is under the sponsorship of the mission board. It appears that the congregation ceased to exist in 1974.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Brethren, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasantview_Mennonite_Church_(Brethren,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=84062.
Wenger, John C. (1959). Pleasantview Mennonite Church (Brethren, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasantview_Mennonite_Church_(Brethren,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=84062.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.