Pleasant View Mennonite Church (Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Pleasant View Mennonite Church, Schellsburg, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, was a member of the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. The congregation was started by settlers with Lehman, Miller, and Thomas surnames from the Johnstown district in 1872. A meetinghouse was erected in 1910.

The congregation was served by visiting ministers until it was fully organized in 1914, when Clayton Graybill was ordained as pastor. Graybill served until 1924. Elmer J. Blough from the Blough congregation near Holsopple, Pennsylvania served for several years. W. E. Replogle served as deacon from 1929 to 1944. Charles R. Shetler was pastor from 1939 until 1982, followed by David Wiley, who served from 1982 until his death.

The church became unaffiliated around the year 1991 and eventually disbanded. In 2010 the building was sold to the Allegheny Valley Mennonite Church of the Hope Mennonite Fellowship.

The church had a membership of 29 in 1957.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published February 2016


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Pleasant View Mennonite Church (Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2016. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_View_Mennonite_Church_(Schellsburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=134414.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (February 2016). Pleasant View Mennonite Church (Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_View_Mennonite_Church_(Schellsburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=134414.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 192, 1147. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.