The congregation was originally known as Pleasant Hill Mennonite Mission. It began as a Sunday school to children in the Pleasant Hill area of Saskatoon by Benno Toews, a university student and mission worker.
In 1965 there were 87 members; in 1975, 129; in 1985, 164; in 1995, 84; in 2000, 82. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites of Saskatchewan (1958-2000), the Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1960-2000) and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1983-2000). The language of worship is English.
The leaders of the congregation have included Benno Toews (1928-1930), J. J. Thiessen (1930-), Isaac Ens (1953-1954), Otto Driedger (1955-1956), Peter Reimer (1957-1958), B. H. Fast (1958-1966), Carl Ens (1966-1969), David Letkeman (1969-1974), Peter Funk (1975-1985, 1987-1988), Greg Goertzen (1986), David Peters (1989-).
The congregation withdrew from Mennonite Church Canada and the Conference of Mennonites in Saskatchewan in late 2000. The congregation believed the conferences were not taking a strong position that would discipline congregations that accepted as members homosexual persons who were in relationships.
In November 2001 Pastor Eduardo Guinez began a Spanish ministry on Saturday evenings called "Iglesia Evangelica Mennonita Renacer." In 2004 the congregation agreed to expand the building, with the dedication service on 31 October 2004. Several adjacent properties were purchased in subsequent years in order to expand the parking lot. Further renovations took place in 2007. The congregation has also participated with the Calgary Vietnamese Mennonite Church with planting a Vietnamese congregation in Saskatoon. They met in one of Pleasant Hill's classrooms on Sunday mornings.
Canadian Mennonite (21 February 1958): 5; (25 April 1958): 1.
Mennonite Reporter (18 March 1996): 15.
Canadian Mennonite 4 (13 November 2000)
Patkau, Esther. First Mennonite Church in Saskatoon, 1923-1982. Saskatoon, SK: First Mennonite Church, 1982, 319 pp.
Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church. "History of the Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (1928 – 2009)." 2009. Web. 1 December 2010. http://www.saskatoonpleasanthillchurch.com/our_church_history
Address: 111 Witney Ave. North, Saskatoon, SK, S7L 3M1
Website: Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church
|Date Published||December 2010|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2010. Web. 12 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Saskatoon,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=77039.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (December 2010). Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Saskatoon,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=77039.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.