Pingjum, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland
, about three miles west of Witmarsum
where Menno Simons
was born. Menno is supposed to have spent his youth at Pingjum and after his studies he officiated here as a Roman Catholic
priest in 1524-31. The Catholic church in which he served has been replaced by a new one (now Reformed), but its old tower is still standing. It is not known when Mennonitism arose here. Wabbe Lysbethsdochter of Pingjum had as early as March 1535 been among the Anabaptists who assaulted the Oldeklooster
. Leenaert Bouwens
baptized 14 persons here in 1563-65, and 12 in 1568-82. At least since that time there has been a Mennonite congregation at Pingjum. Concerning this congregation there is only scarce information. In 1695 it numbered 32 baptized members. During the 18th century the (lay) preachers of Pingjum also served in the neighboring congregation of Arum
In 1823 the Pingjum congregation united with that of Witmarsum, from then being served by the ministers of Witmarsum. The old and characteristic meetinghouse of Pingjum was restored in 1950.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1864): 125 f.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1951): 21-26.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 375.
Mennonite Life V (January 1950): 44-46.
Vos, Karel. Menno Simons, 1496-1561, zijn leven en werken en zijne reformatorische denkbeelden. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1914: 30, 229.
|| Nanne van der Zijpp
| Date Published
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Pingjum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pingjum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=96056.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Pingjum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pingjum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=96056.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 181, 1147. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.