From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:44, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

In a disagreement over the treatment of an orphan girl in 1845 the two ministers at Groffdale, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Jacob Stauffer and Jacob Weber, led a small schism, with Jacob Brubaker of Juniata County as their bishop. They were granted a small meetinghouse near Hinkletown and built one in Snyder County on Port Trevorton Route 2. They are today called the Weaver Mennonites. There were in 1955 60 mem­bers, with Weaver Zimmerman as bishop and Martin S. Weaver and Peter L. Weaver as ministers. The Stauffer Mennonites, 218 in all, are in two con­gregations, with Jacob S. Stauffer as bishop and Joseph O. Brubaker as minister at the Pike church, worshiping in the same house as the Weaver group, and at Loveville, Maryland, Harry Stauffer and John M. Brubaker, ministers. There were a few other small schismatic groups in Snyder County in the late 1950s.



Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Pike Mennonite Church (Hinkletown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Hinkletown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=67134.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Pike Mennonite Church (Hinkletown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Hinkletown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=67134.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 180. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.