Pike Mennonite Church (formerly Mennonite Church, now Southeastern Mennonite Conference), Harrisonburg, Virginia located 5 miles south of the city on Route 11, was established in 1825, with Frederick Rhodes and Abram Nisewonger as ministers. It was then known as "Moyers Church." In 1874 a building 28' x 36' became the first permanent house of worship. This one and the next building were both destroyed by fire. The General Conference of the Mennonite Church was conceived at Pike at a meeting on 11 November 1897.
In 1957 it had 162 members, with Aldine Brenneman and John E. Kurtz as ministers.
In 2014 the congregation had 89 members and was served by Bishop Nelson R. Showalter, Ministers Ellis Beery and John R. Swartz, and Deacons Luke Heatwole and Wade D. Knicely.
Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014: 127.
 Additional Information
Address: 31 Pike Church Road, Harrisonburg, VA
|Author(s)||Harry A Brunk|
 Cite This Article
Brunk, Harry A. "Pike Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117450.
Brunk, Harry A. (1959). Pike Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117450.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.