Petter Memorial Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), formerly called the Lame Deer Mennonite Mission Church, is located in the Lame Deer Valley, Rosebud County, Montana, on the Tongue River Indian Reservation, the home of the Northern Cheyenne Indians. The church was built in 1908 by P. A. Kliewer, who carried on the work from Busby until 1910. Other workers were Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Wiebe 1911-15, Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Neufeld 1915-16, Mr. and Mrs. Rodolphe and Marie Petter 1916-47, and Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Habegger (d. 1956), who assisted from Busby from 1946, then moved to Lame Deer in 1949. Marie Petter continued to help in the work after her retirement. Petter died on 6 January 1947, having served 25 years among the Southern Cheyennes and 30 years among the Northern Cheyennes. Native pastors of this church have been Frank Littlewolf and Milton Whiteman (d. 1958). By the late 1950s over 235 had been baptized since the beginning of the work, with a membership of about 75 in 1947. At this time both the Cheyenne and English languages were used in the work here. Mr. and Mrs. Donavin Diller had been missionaries at Lame Deer since March 1957.
Cite This Article
Habegger, Alfred. "Petter Memorial Mennonite Church (Rosebud County, Montana)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Petter_Memorial_Mennonite_Church_(Rosebud_County,_Montana)&oldid=83850.
Habegger, Alfred. (1959). Petter Memorial Mennonite Church (Rosebud County, Montana). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Petter_Memorial_Mennonite_Church_(Rosebud_County,_Montana)&oldid=83850.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.