Peoria Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now known as the "Ann Street Mennonite Church," is located in the southwestern part of the city at 2101-5 West Ann Street, Peoria, IL. It was started as a mission in a former saloon at the corner of Garden Street and Western Ave., on 16 February 1919, by the Illinois District Mission Board. John Roth served as the first superintendent. In 1921 the work was placed in charge of the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities, which still sponsored the congregation in 1959. On 29 October 1922, the congregation was organized. In 1926 the mission building was sold and the following year the present parsonage and church were erected, greatly enlarged in 1954-58. The membership in 1958 was 86, with J. J. Hostetler as pastor.
In 1938 the congregation opened a branch Sunday school in Bellevue, just west of the city. This work was organized into an indigenous and later unaffiliated congregation, known as the Bellevue Bible Church.
|Author(s)||J. J Hostetler|
 Cite This Article
Hostetler, J. J. "Peoria Mennonite Church (Peoria, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peoria_Mennonite_Church_(Peoria,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=76973.
Hostetler, J. J. (1959). Peoria Mennonite Church (Peoria, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peoria_Mennonite_Church_(Peoria,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=76973.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.