From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
Pelly Fellowship Chapel, 2012. Source: Evangelical Mennonite Conference archives.
Pelly Fellowship Chapel, part of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference, was started in 1950 through the outreach efforts of the Western Gospel Mission. Ben Eidse was the first worker, serving from 1950 to 1953, first as an unmarried man and then with his wife Helen (nee Reimer), whom he married on 30 March 1952.

In the winter of 1954 to 1955 an 18.5x27.6 meter building was moved from Mikado, Saskatchewan, into Pelly as a chapel.  In 1972 it was replaced by the building formerly used by the Valley Stream church (an Evangelical Mennonite Conference congregation that dissolved in 1971), which was moved into Pelly in 1972 and placed on a new lot just south of the old site. A manse was built in 1964.  When the Western Gospel Mission was dissolved in 1961, Pelly Fellowship Chapel was transferred to the Evangelical Mennonite Conference that year, though it was formally organized only in 1963. The congregation was later enlarged and enriched by people connected with two groups in Arabella area: a Western Gospel Mission work in Arabella that dissolved and the Swan Plain Mennonite Church that later merged with Pelly Fellowship Chapel during Ernest Funk’s period of service.

In 2012, the average Sunday School attendance was 25 and the average worship attendance was 30.  Lewis and Vivian Anfinson became a deacon couple in 1967, the only couple officially to serve in that position to date.

Contents

[edit] Bibliography

EMC Yearbook for 20012: Including a Record of the Proceedings of the 62nd Annual Sessions of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference July 6-8, 2012. Steinbach, MB: Evangelical Mennonite Conference, 2012.

"Helen (Reimer) Eidse, 1928-2010." The Messenger 50 no. 9 (September 2012): 32.

Smith, Terry M. "A Rich Place of Meeting in Christ." The Messenger 36, no. 10 (27 May 1998).

[edit] Additional Information

Meeting place: 311 Main St., Pelly, Saskatchewan

Address: Box 70, Pelly, SK, S0A 2Z0

Phone number: 306-595-4511

Denominational Affiliation

Evangelical Mennonite Conference

Pelly Fellowship Chapel Ministers

Minister Years of Service
Ben Eidse 1950-1953
Ben Friesen 1953-1957
Ben Andres 1957-1961
Abe Giesbrecht 1962-1967
Jake Cornelsen 1966-1969
Ron Penner 1969-1971
Cornie Dueck 1971-1975
Dan Thiessen 1975-1977
Frank Reimer 1977-1980
Ernest Funk 1980-1990
Robin Bignall 1990-1991
Murray Vader 1992-1995
Kenton Penner 1996-2004
John Froese 2005-present


Author(s) Terry Smith
Date Published February 2013


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Smith, Terry. "Pelly Fellowship Chapel (Pelly, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pelly_Fellowship_Chapel_(Pelly,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=93262.

APA style

Smith, Terry. (February 2013). Pelly Fellowship Chapel (Pelly, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pelly_Fellowship_Chapel_(Pelly,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=93262.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.