Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church)
Peace and Arbitration Committee, appointed at the Annual Conference of the Mennonite Church of Canada (MC) in 1906 to represent the conference in "advancing the cause of nonresistance in every legitimate way," reported to conference and was reappointed annually until 1922, when a motion was passed to release it. Those appointed to this committee in 1906 were S. F. Coffman, L. J. Burkholder, and David Bergey. In 1911 the committee was increased to four members. The action calling the committee into existence in 1906 included a recommendation that a Peace and Arbitration Association be organized in each member congregation of the conference. At least one congregation responded, for the Mennonite Historical Library at Goshen College has an undated printed constitution of the Mennonite Peace and Arbitration Association located at the Wideman Church, York County, Ontario. The stated object of this organization was "the promotion of universal and permanent peace, by means of arbitration and by cultivating the spirit of peace and good will among men." It is not known how extensive its membership and activities were, nor how long it lasted.
|Author(s)||N. P Springer|
Cite This Article
Springer, N. P. "Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_and_Arbitration_Committee_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=83794.
Springer, N. P. (1959). Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_and_Arbitration_Committee_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=83794.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1113-1114. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.