From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:26, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Peace Community Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA)(formerly Detroit Mennonite Gospel Mission), is located at 15800 Curtis Street. It was begun in 1926 by Mennonites who came to the city to secure employment. In 1927 the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference took over the work and built a small church. In 1930, it was transferred to the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. Over 100 people had been baptized in the mission by the 1950s. The 1954 membership was 38. F. B. Raber was pastor 1930-1950, J. F. Erb 1950-1956, and C. Nevin Miller after 1956.

In 2007 the congreation was led by Evelyn E. Childs, and had a membership of 61.

Additional Information

Address:

15800 Curtis St.

Detroit, MI 48235

Phone:

313-273-7999

Affiliations:

African-American Mennonite Association

Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA


Author(s) F. B Raber
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Raber, F. B. "Peace Community Mennonite Church (Detroit, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_Community_Mennonite_Church_(Detroit,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=83796.

APA style

Raber, F. B. (1956). Peace Community Mennonite Church (Detroit, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_Community_Mennonite_Church_(Detroit,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=83796.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 40. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.