Pavlodar (Pavlodar Province, Kazakhstan)
Pavlodar, a town located on the right bank of the Irtysh River of the Pavlodar Region, formerly Semipalatinsk Region, now in Kazakhstan, 180 miles northwest of Semipalatinsk, had a population of 20,000 during World War II (300,500 in 1999). The town is located in an agricultural region and on a railroad half way between Akmolinsk and Barnaul.
Pavlodar Mennonite Settlement, located nearby, originated in 1906. The city was the primary center of the settlement from the beginning. Later the city of Slavgorod also gained some significance for some of the Mennonite villages closer to this city. Originally primarily Tatars and Russian business men lived in Pavlodar. Because of the good transportation facilities on the Irtysh River, the city developed into a business center. Among the Mennonites who established businesses in the city were Driedger and Voth, who dealt in general merchandise and agricultural machinery. Heinz Görzen had a large steam-driven flour mill, while Schartner and Schmidt maintained a "hotel." Franz F. Fröse was the director of the high school (Gymnasium) of the city of Pavlodar in 1923. It can be assumed that more Mennonites have settled in Pavlodar since World War II.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Pavlodar (Pavlodar Province, Kazakhstan)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pavlodar_(Pavlodar_Province,_Kazakhstan)&oldid=76898.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Pavlodar (Pavlodar Province, Kazakhstan). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pavlodar_(Pavlodar_Province,_Kazakhstan)&oldid=76898.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 12. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.