Paulding County Mennonite Settlement (Junction, Ohio)
Paulding County Mennonite settlement, now extinct, was located in the vicinity of the present village of Junction, eight miles northeast of Paulding. Frederick Geiger of the Putnam County, Ohio, Swiss Mennonite settlement was attracted to the vicinity in 1862 because of the large amount of uncut timber. He operated a sawmill here and purchased tracts of timber, cleared them and resold the land at a profit. Members of the Hilty, Augsburger, Bandy, and Kemler families from the Putnam County settlement moved there in the next few years. Bishop John Thut of the Riley Creek Mennonite Church (later called Zion Mennonite Church), located about three miles west of Bluffton, Ohio, made several visits to this new settlement, holding services in the homes of various members. Likely other ministers from near-by Mennonite churches also paid occasional visits. Since no Mennonite minister settled here, Frederick Geiger and most of the other settlers returned to the Putnam County settlement in the 1870's. The Kemlers and Bandys remained but were lost to the Mennonite Church.
Gratz, D. L. Bernese Anabaptists. Scottdale, 1953: 159-60.
Umble, J. "Early Mennonite Sunday Schools of Northwestern Ohio: II. Zion (Bluffton) congregation." Mennonite Quarterly Review V, No. 3 (July 1931): 182-84.
|Author(s)||Delbert L Gratz|
Cite This Article
Gratz, Delbert L. "Paulding County Mennonite Settlement (Junction, Ohio)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Paulding_County_Mennonite_Settlement_(Junction,_Ohio)&oldid=60082.
Gratz, Delbert L. (1959). Paulding County Mennonite Settlement (Junction, Ohio). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Paulding_County_Mennonite_Settlement_(Junction,_Ohio)&oldid=60082.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.