Tranonidhi N. Paul, b. 3 July 1904, was the fourth of five sons and a daughter born to Shyamsundar Haripal, a weaver, and Champa Bai. His parents had to flee from their wealthy family to Arda, in Orissa, after accepting Christianity. Tranonidhi Paul was born in Arda, but moved with his parents to Phuljhar state where the English Baptist Mission sent them. Later he attended the boys' school in Mauhadih where two of his brothers died.
Paul married Dukhi Bai, the daughter of Chaitan and Bhalkundi Kumar on 10 May 1922. They had one daughter, Esther, and later took four more girls and a boy into their home. Tranonidhi Paul was a weaver-farmer, but he was sent to Koksa village to teach school in 1927. The next year he was assigned to evangelistic work. He completed his middle school education at Mauhadih in 1930. He returned to Phuljhar to evangelism work. From 1934 to 1936 he and his wife studied at the Bible School in Janjgir and following graduation he served full-time in the pastoral ministry until 1957 at the isolated Antioch congregation. He was ordained elder in 1945. He transferred to the Salem congregation in 1957 and served the Ephesus congregation from 1962 until his retirement in 1968. He was a very effective and beloved pastor. Upon the death of his son-in-law, he and his wife moved to Jagdeeshpur to stay with their daughter. His prayerful interest in church and conference continued until his death on 14 November 1987.
Juhnke, James C. A People of Mission: A History of General Conference Mennonite Overseas Missions. Newton, KS: Faith and Life, 1979: 42.
Cite This Article
Kornelsen, Helen. "Paul, Tranonidhi N. (1904-1987)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Paul,_Tranonidhi_N._(1904-1987)&oldid=76881.
Kornelsen, Helen. (1987). Paul, Tranonidhi N. (1904-1987). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Paul,_Tranonidhi_N._(1904-1987)&oldid=76881.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.