Patos, an Old Colony Mennonite settlement consisting of 3,000 persons in 1950, is established in the state of Durango, Mexico, about 75 miles north and west of the capital. Patos is the Mexican town that serves as the post office, trading center, and railroad station for the more than sixteen villages that comprise the Mennonite settlement. Mennonites do not live in the town, but in agricultural villages within driving distance of this town. It is of historical interest that originally all of the Old Colony Mennonites now in Mexico had planned to settle in the state of Durango. Land bought there by the large settlement now in the state of Chihuahua was later exchanged for land in Chihuahua before the settlers actually arrived. The Durango Colony is about 500 miles south of the larger settlements of Chihuahua.
|Author(s)||J. Winfield Fretz|
 Cite This Article
Fretz, J. Winfield. "Patos (Durango, Mexico)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Patos_(Durango,_Mexico)&oldid=76875.
Fretz, J. Winfield. (1959). Patos (Durango, Mexico). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Patos_(Durango,_Mexico)&oldid=76875.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.